Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Learning is a Virtue

I love learning. I made a career of it well into my 20s--I managed to avoid the real world by going to university (with a brief break to live a hipster life of low wage drudgery in Portland, OR--a life I escaped without a single tattoo, amazingly) until I was 27. So, safe to say, I am confident in my ability as a learner--overconfident probably. I miss university--all that soaking in of new ideas, and...sleeping. But I've learned more practical, useable skills, in the last couple of years working at SPL than in 9 years of higher learning. One of the things I've learned is that I'm not the best of teachers. I did have some inkling of this fault--it was the reason I gave up on the idea of a Ph.D.--that and, well, the idea of writing a Ph.D.

For a Southerner I speak quickly, and I have trouble slowing myself down to explain things to people. Friends, family and general know-it-alls are also forever telling me that patience is a virtue--one I clearly lack. So, learning to be a better teacher is going to be one of my goals with this project. There are quite a few of the 27 Things I've never done before. I'm hoping that revisiting learning will, in turn, help me be a better teacher.

1 comment:

  1. neither have i done several of the 27- it will be fun!

    ReplyDelete